I am not sure about your backyard, but ours is FULL of mosquitoes as soon as the sun goes down. It’s downright uncomfortable to be outside. I’ve always used citronella candles, but I have never made them. While these DIY citronella candles might not completely get rid of all of those pesky mosquitoes, they are a huge help! You can use this same recipe to make other candles with any essential oil you have, it doesn’t need to be citronella! I think lavender or orange might be the next DIY candles I make…
I just got this Citronella oil last week…it has been out of stock for months!! As soon as I got it, my wheels were turning on how I could use it, and this was the perfect way to try out Citronella with an EASY project!
- Mason Jars – I like the fun colored ones from Joann’s
- Floating wicks (I got mine on Amazon – see link. I looked at Joann’s and Michael’s and was not able to find them there.)
- Vegetable Oil or Olive Oil
- Citronella Oil – Or any essential oil of your choice (learn more about the oils I use here)
Steps to make Easy DIY Citronella Candles
These candles are so easy, they literally take 5 minutes to make.
1. Pour in water, but leave about 1.5 inches from the top of the jar
2. Pour about 1/2 cup of oil in a separate container with 10 drops of Citronella Oil, stir it up good.
3. Pour the oil on top of the water. Don’t worry about it mixing with the water, it will naturally float to the top of the water in the jar.
4. Put your floating wick on the top of the oil layer.
5. Light your candle, and keep the bugs away! 🙂
Have you tried any other essential oils in candles? I’d love to hear how you’ve used them with candles in the comments!